California charter school boards are expected to govern effectively and transparently.
And great news for busy board members: a seat in the Board Governance Summit is included in single-day conference registration or full (3-day) conference registration at no additional cost!
But seats are limited and must be reserved. Register and reserve your spot today!
Who Should Attend the Governance Summit?
The Summit is primarily attended by new California charter school governing board members but it also serves as a great “refresher” training for continuing board members and other school staff that frequently interface with the governing board.
Topics will be covered by sector experts including veteran charter leaders and will include:
- Board Member Roles/Responsibilities and Critical Topics: The Summit will provide a basic overview of the key topics every charter school board needs to know, including the role of the Legislature, the roles and responsibilities of board members and school administrators, the alphabet soup of acronyms that make up the common vernacular of education policy, and much more.
- Brown Act Training: The Ralph M. Brown Act is a piece of legislation that ensures Californians’ right to participate in the meetings of “local legislative bodies,” including the meetings of California public charter schools. This training will discuss to whom the Brown Act applies, how the Brown Act is triggered, how to create Brown Act-compliant notices and agendas, how to enter closed-session meetings of the Board, and more
- Authorizer Oversight/Overreach: Authorizers have oversight responsibilities for ensuring that charter schools under their jurisdiction are in compliance with applicable laws and the terms of their charter. This training will explore the importance of developing and maintaining positive relationships with authorizing entities while also maintaining your flexibility and independence.
Governance Isn’t the Topic You’re Looking For?
Check out the additional long-form sessions available to registered attendees on Wednesday, November 8:
Summit Topics (Full-day, 9:30AM-4:00PM)
- Your Leadership Style
- Thriving Leadership Teams
- Charter School Accountability and Renewal
- Inclusive Practices: Student Services, Student Mental Health and Restorative Justice
Note: lunch will be served to Summit participants and CSDC will host a Welcome Happy Hour that participants are encouraged to attend.
Workshops (3 hours)
- Supporting and Expanding DEI Work w/in Your Organization
- Preparing for the Ethnic Studies Graduation Requirement
- Handling Tough Complaints
- Fundraising Strategies
- Communications Strategies to Win Renewal, Appeal, or Approval
- Student Recruitment and Enrollment
Note: lunch will not be served to workshop participants but CSDC will host a Welcome Happy Hour that participants are encouraged to attend.
Already Registered? Reserve Your Seat!
To reserve your seat, re-access your registration using the same email address with which you registered. Follow the directions to create a profile or reset your password. Once signed in, re-access your existing registration and add your selected pre-conference workshop.
Not Registered Yet?
If you haven’t yet registered or think you don’t have time to attend the entire conference, sign up for our single-day registration and join us on Wednesday, November 8.